Day 32: the finish line!

25 April, 25 km on ANZAC Day into Albany

I took my time today, given there was no one waiting for me at the end. I’m still a bit sad as I had imagined getting to the end with Birger by my side for over a month, but it is what it is. And really, it is a first-world-problem compared to what others are going through these days... 

 

This morning was along a long row of wind farms - yes, they don’t belong into the landscape but seeing renewable energy being generated makes me happy nonetheless. 

The coastline was still stunning and the ocean below pretty wild.

 

The last couple of hours into Albany weren’t very exciting though, so I’ve changed my mind on walking back out tomorrow. 

Some nice views across the inlet, but mostly along people’s backyards. 



As I got closer to the Southern terminus of the trail, I video called Birger- so he was there after all - very 2020, isn’t it? (But people have done weddings and birthday parties and funerals this way - why not a finish of an epic walk??)

 


Who would have thought it would be harder for Birger to get here than for me??? 

So, in summary, I’ve walked some 1005km (give or take), with somewhere around 15-21,000 m of elevation change (depending on the source) (but it’s net downhill and it equals to 2 or 3 times climbing Mt. Everest)  in 32 days. I have had 5 rainy days, including cyclone Sedona hitting the coast. 

I have seen hundreds of kangaroos and wallabies, walked through more spider webs than I care to remember, encountered 5 or 6 snakes and have not had a single issue with nature (bites, stings, ticks, etc). I have probably eaten around 70 to 80 muesli bars and I have probably lost a few kg of weight (my hip belt can’t go any tighter...). 

And I’m happy. 



Oh, and in other news: my 2nd flip flop was found 😂



Now, I’m off to celebrate 




Comments

  1. So happy for you Julia, congratulations 👏👏. It's been great following your hike. Rest up and enjoy the rest of your time in WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meine Hochachtung habe ich dir bereits ausgesprochen! Ich habe deine Posts mit großem Interesse verfolgt und war in Gedanken so manches mal ganz bei dir. Vielleicht hast du das hin und wieder gespürt? Du hast den Bibbulmun Track mit seinen Herausforderungen großartig bewältigt. Jetzt bin ich gespannt auf deine Schilderung der genaueren Gründe, warum du das alles auf dich genommen hast!
    Aber erst einmal drücke ich gaaanz fest die Daumen, dass wenigstens Plan B des Zusammentreffens mit Birger klappt!
    In großer Zuneigung liebste Grüße von deiner Schwiegermutter Jutta

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4: Brookton to Monadnock’s

Day 8: Laundry Day! Shower Day!

Day 6: 32 in 37